Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bananas Foster Dutch Babies



The blogging community is full of amazingly talented women. Jamie and I are excited and proud to be setting up residency with the likes of these people! We are growing through trial and error as we find our place. 
One of those awesome women is Alissa Circle from 
Seriously, go check her out. She is a blogger of all things as well and boy does she have a way with words!
I was skimming through our IG the other day and she had posted a recipe for Blueberry Banana Dutch Babies made in a cast iron skillet and I about fell over! 
I. LOVE. DUTCH BABIES.
Just ask my family. We have them at least once a week and my husband keeps telling me that I am going to ruin them the way his Mother ruined pot roast. Apparently he ate that a lot growing up. 
So when I saw Alissa's variation on it I got super excited because now I am going to continue to make it every week… only in different ways. Bwaaa ha ha! If you have never heard of them nor had them.. I don't even know what to say to you, except for START NOW! They will change your breakfast (and sometimes dinner) forever! 
I love Bananas Foster so I felt that a good one to start with. 
We are all about easy over here and there is nothing I hate more than a sink full of dirty dishes after cooking, so I make these babies in the blender. It's kind of like all those healthy people that get up first thing in the morning and start blending all that's good for them…they must love the sound of the blender first thing in the morning. ME too! Only mine is filled with flour-y, sugary, goodness :) It's basically the same thing.




Bananas Foster Dutch Babies (German Pancakes)
1 Tbs butter
1 whole banana sliced
   brown sugar

3 Tbs butter
3 eggs
3/4 c milk
3/4 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon 
2 tsp vanilla extract
  powdered sugar

Grab a small pan and add 1 Tbs butter and melt on medium heat. Let that melt a little and then add sliced bananas. Sprinkle some brown sugar over the top. Carefully fold them over. Turn heat down to low and continuer to mix periodically. Turn your oven on to 425 degrees. Place 3 Tbs of butter in your 8in cast iron skillet (you can just as well use and 8x8 pyrex pan too). Put your pan in the oven to allow the butter to melt as the oven heats. Whip out your trusty blender and put your eggs in it. Blend on high for 1 minute. Gradually add your milk first and then flour, cinnamon, and vanilla. I add my ingredients right through the hole in the lid. Continue to blend for 30 seconds. By now your butter should be melted so pull that pan out of the oven. Pour the bananas into your pan with butter and then slowly pour in your batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffy and golden brown. When it is done let cool for about 1 minute and then sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

*If you want to make plain Dutch Babies just omit the bananas part and cinnamon. We like to top ours with maple syrup too!*

 Enjoy your fan-freaking-tastic breakfast!


This little girl is is 11 months old today. I can't believe she is turning 1 next month! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! 


-Sheena




No comments:

Post a Comment